Please submit your applications by September 30th, 2022
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Architecture Foundation of Oregon
The Architecture Foundation of Oregon (AFO) is an established mission driven organization focused on promoting design education as a key driver to a sustainable and equitable future. Through design education and scholarship programs catered to elementary through college, we engage students and teachers across Oregon communities on the ground-breaking power of design.
The AFO is a well-funded non-profit with compelling new programs driving its growth. We are currently looking for an outstanding, energetic Executive Director with a vision to help deliver on our dedication to create greater impact throughout Oregon. This is an exciting opportunity supported by a strong board made up of design and construction industry leaders and a dynamic, accomplished and dedicated five person staff.
POSITION: Executive Director
LOCATION: Downtown Portland, Oregon with remote flexibility; limited statewide travel
REPORTS TO: Foundation Board of Directors through the Board President
JOB STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
SALARY: $80,000 – $90,000 depending on qualifications and experience
BENEFITS: Generous vacation, sick leave and holidays; disability and healthcare insurance
The ideal candidate will have a consistent record of leadership within the nonprofit field as evidenced by consistent achievement of mission and financial objectives, successful fundraising with robust donor and community relationships, organizational development, strong communication skills and public speaking ability, staff and board leadership and motivation, program development and oversight.
- In conjunction with the Board and Staff, envision the future of AFO and build the organization to achieve that future.
- Cultivate a culture of respect, teamwork, diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Plan, coordinate and ensure implementation of goals and strategies to develop a diverse, long-term, relationship-based universe of supporters, partners and program recipients.
- Professionally lead a group of five outstanding individuals in carrying out AFO’s programs and operations.
- Own the fundraising program to ensure long-term financial stability and growth to support the foundation’s mission and goals.
Advancement and Donor Relations
- Together with the Board, develop the organizational vision and update the strategic plan as needed, continually tracking achievement of goals.
- In conjunction with Staff and Board, develop and complete annual plan for securing funding required to balance the annual operating budget, and advance the organization’s mission in accordance with the strategic plan.
- Serve as the organization’s lead fundraiser. Clearly express the Foundation’s mission. In conjunction with Board and Staff, meet fundraising goals with direct asks, proposals and engagement with donors, prospective donors, nonprofit and governmental agencies, and businesses to nurture relationships and champion giving.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with sponsors, foundations, corporate and individual donors, engendering close affiliations with AFO.
Finance, Operations and Organizational Management
- In conjunction with the Board Treasurer, develop the annual operating budget. Track and report monthly to the Executive Committee and quarterly to the Board.
- Provide oversight for proper administration of the fiscal policies and procedures of the organization. Supervise the operations of the accounting system and all fiscal and donor records and reports.
- Ensure that all policies and procedures are in place to allow the Foundation to function in an ethical, legal, cost-effective and efficient manner. Ensure that the Foundation follows Board-adopted Bylaws, Articles of Incorporation, Resolutions, Donor Agreements and other contracts or agreements.
- In conjunction with the Board President and Secretary, conduct official correspondence of the organization and execute legal agreements.
Staff Development and Management
- Maintain a culture that attracts, maintains, motivates and rewards a staff of diverse, highly qualified and proficient members.
- As needed, recruit, employ and release all personnel, both paid staff and non-Board volunteers.
- Develop clear, consistent and regular communications among staff.
- Facilitate effective working relationships with and among staff and ensure staff is functioning effectively in their individual roles and as a team.
- Ensure that job descriptions are updated, that regular performance reviews are held, and that sound human resource practices are implemented and followed.
Communications and Community Leadership
- Serve as a visible, respected community leader. Engage and partner with other community leaders to develop and implement initiatives that enhance the Foundation’s mission.
- Inform the Board on the conditions of the organization and all important factors influencing it.
- Establish sound working relationships and coordinated arrangements with community groups and organizations whose interests and missions are aligned with AFO’s.
- Represent the mission, goals and programs of the organization to government agencies, business and nonprofit organizations, donors, program participants and the general public. Along with Staff, publicize and promote the goals, programs and activities of the organization.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and advanced foundation/philanthropic training are preferred.
- 5+ years related professional experience with a record of job advancement.
- Demonstrated experience and success with dynamic development programs including foundations, sponsorships, memberships, endowment and individual giving.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills; ability to create and sustain a team-oriented, entrepreneurial strategy.
- Strong communication skills and ability to connect and work with a wide range of key contacts and collaborators. Verbal and written communication proficiencies in a variety of formats. Articulate and well-advised.
- Intercultural competence, ability to work with sensitivity and efficiency with people of a diverse group of backgrounds and identities; demonstrated dedication to equity and inclusion.
- Ability to analyze current and future financial resources needed to achieve the organization’s strategic plan; ability to read, comprehend and communicate financial information. Demonstrated budgeting, financial management and reporting experience.
- Experience developing and leading robust community programs.
- Passion for, dedication to and experience with the designed and built environment is desired.
Resumes and cover letters should be sent to email@example.com
Please submit by September 30th, 2022 for priority consideration.