January 31, 2023
To apply, submit your resume, cover letter and three references to: email@example.com
Career Opportunity - Education Outreach Associate
The Architecture Foundation of Oregon (AFO) seeks a full time Education Outreach Associate for this entry level position to work 40 hours/week to support relationship building pertaining to AFO’s education programming and perform outreach administrative duties.
About the Organization: The Architecture Foundation of Oregon supports Oregon’s quality of life and creates awareness of our designed environment through education, engagement and inspiration. AFO believes that all Oregonians benefit from thoughtful design in their home, in their community and in the environment around them. Through dynamic programming such as Architects in Schools, AFO works with community partners to share design’s role in shaping our future. By convening conversations and encouraging involvement, we empower people to embrace design as a tool to impact the future of Oregon for generations to come.
Architects in Schools (AiS) is AFO’s largest and longest standing program in which design professionals such as architects, engineers and contractors present curriculum based design lessons to elementary age children in partnership with classroom teachers. It has been shown to increase school engagement and growth mindset among children who participate and connects what children are learning in school to their daily lives outside of school.
POSITION: Education Outreach Associate, Entry-Level
LOCATION: Downtown Portland, Oregon with remote flexibility; limited statewide travel
JOB STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
BENEFITS: Monthly healthcare stipend, generous vacation, sick leave, holidays and short-term disability
The Education Outreach Associate will take an integral role in building relationships and ensuring access to education programming that supports lower income schools in underinvested communities. This will include working with school staff and community partners, and creating and organizing education materials. Assistance with communication and coordination related to Architects in Schools and other programs will also be part of this position.
Working with education and programming staff, the Education Outreach Associate will support the development and cultivation of relationships with lower income schools, coordinate logistics, and more.
- Work with low income school staff to identify specific needs and possible barriers to underinvested schools not participating in AFO programming. Work with education staff to develop strategies to overcome any obstacles for these schools’ students to accessing and fully participating in AFO’s education programs.
- Oversee data and support coordination and evaluation of education programming in lower-income schools.
- Work with education staff on any necessary updates to program curricula and materials.
- Coordinate print pieces and mailings and assist in the planning and execution of programming.
- Communicate with AiS participants and AFO stakeholders as needed.
- Accurate maintenance of database.
- Maintain inventory of necessary program supplies and files.
- Assist with planning and preparation of meetings and events.
- Perform a variety of administrative duties including data entry, various other school and design firm correspondence, Architects in Schools schedule coordination, and committee meeting support.
The fall and spring represent Architects in Schools’ busiest seasons but duties will be necessary year-round. Occasional evening and weekend work is required during fall and spring.
- Experience working with underinvested and marginalized communities.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe InDesign.
- Experience with social media.
- Demonstrated organizational and administrative skills.
Please send cover letter, resume and three references to Kim Ruthardt Knowles at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Apply by January 31, 2023.
Studies have shown that women and people from marginalized backgrounds are less likely to apply for a job if they are not 100% qualified. AFO welcomes applicants from all backgrounds and invites you to apply even if you do not meet each requirement.
Associate Director, Architects in Schools